Monday, February 29, 2016

Concealing 101



Hi there! I hope you're all having a great start to the week. Last week I came across this article on Into The Gloss, about the best concealers, which inspired this post. I thought that I would talk to you about concealers and concealing in general. We are all different when it comes to color choice, the application and what we use concealer for, so I wanted to share with you some of the tips and tricks I've accumulated throughout the years.

1. Prep your face It's very important to prep your skin, when working with concealers, because like with foundation you want to work on a nice canvas. So for example applying a moisturizer or mask the night before will make your skin feel nice and smooth for the products you're going to be putting on top. For under the eyes I always apply an eye cream before concealer (trust me it's going to make a world of a difference). A little tip I love to do before special occasions is an eye mask, I just find it gives my under eye a boost of hydration.

2. Pick areas where concealer is needed Where do you need to conceal? What are your problem areas? Those are the questions I ask myself before I start concealing my entire face... Obviously you don't want to go overboard with concealer, because it can start looking cakey very quickly (which we don't want). I use concealer for my dark circles and dark spots. I never put concealer on my pimples, because I personally think it makes them look more obvious, so I just stick with my foundation for that.

3. Pick the right concealer The rule is you want your concealer to be 1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone, if it's for your under eye and highlighting, but for the rest of the face you want it to match your foundation. If you have dry skin, don't use a liquid concealer with a matte finish because it will emphasize your dry spots. If you have oily skin and enlarged pores, you don't want to use a creamy or stick concealer, the texture of those tend to clog and emphasize your pores, and only make you look more oily (and that ain't cute).

4. Cover up Finally now is when you start covering up those bad boys (whether it's your dark circle, pimple, discoloration etc.). We all have different ways of applying concealer, my favorite is using my fingers or beauty blender. I find that I use less product that way and it looks more natural. Always pat or dab your concealer, because the skin under the eye is very delicate and you don't want to rub off the concealer. I never set my concealer with powder, because it looks very cakey on me and accentuates my fine lines (but you do you). One of the biggest mistakes I used to do, was that I would apply my concealer before my foundation, which was completely ridiculous, because it meant I was pilling on concealer. Once I started applying my concealer after my foundation, I realized that I could skip that step all together (but sometimes I still need that extra coverage).

When we think of concealer today it's mostly to cover up dark circles or pimples. But there are so many other great ways to use concealer here are my favorite...

Everyone knows how expensive an eyelid primer can be, and frankly the drugstore don't have a lot of options. Using your concealer as an eyelid primer, is a great and cheap way to avoid splurging on unnecessary primers. I honestly prefer using concealer, because I have very veiny eyelids and it hides them. My eyeshadows look much more vibrant when I use concealer.

One of my favorite ways to use concealer is to replace it with my foundation. It's great for when you don't have foundation on hand or you want to go for a more natural look. My favorite concealer for that is the Clarins Instant Concealer. I apply it where I have redness and under my eyes, it takes no time, and it gives you that "just enhancing my natural features" look!

Lastly it's great for covering mistakes! Yes we all have those moments when our eyeliner doesn't look as sharp as we want it too or our lipstick application was a little wobbly. In those situations concealer will be your best friend, just use it to clean up those uneven lines and no one will ever know what happened...

Remember makeup is fun, but there's nothing wrong with just wanting to enhance your natural beauty, the goal is to even out your skin tone, not hide behind all that concealer and foundation!

How do you use your concealer? What are your tips and tricks?


Follow me on Bloglovin / Instagram / Twitter Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign
);